Libertà offers workshops on various aspects of novel-writing for writers at all stages of their careers. Details of current and future full-day workshops are below or you can subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to hear about our upcoming sessions.
Workshops #1 & #2 — SPARKLE
Add Sparkle to Your MS
Problem: you’ve read the books, you’ve taken the courses, you’ve edited the 1st three chapters or more. People read your story. They’re kind. But you know from their reaction that it’s a bit bleurgh. Or you send it to agents and they’re mildly complimentary but keep passing. Or you have to drag yourself to the desk even to open the file again.
Answer: it needs more oomph. Very difficult to do alone. You need people to spark off. We find other writers ideal.
- tricks and tips that have put the pep back into our writing
- exercises to add impact to your writing — where it matters
- lots of discussion
- and fun!
Sparkle workshops are not about the initial creation of your MS. They are workshops to help writers to edit their drafts in order to engage with their readers.
Sparkle #1 — HOOK & HOLD — concentrates on the vital first 10% of your story, the section that potential readers can download as an ebook sample. Add Sparkle to HOOK your reader from the start and to HOLD her — up to and beyond the end of the sample — so that she feels compelled to buy your book.
Sparkle #2 — BLING IT UP — looks at adding Sparkle to your book as a whole so that your reader is deeply engaged, and so delighted with your story that you go on her autobuy list for your next book.
(It would be helpful, but is not essential, to have done the Sparkle #1 workshop before attending Sparkle #2.)
Forthcoming Sparkle Workshop Date(s):
Sparkle #1: Hook & Hold Saturday, 17th June 2017, RAF Club, 128 Piccadilly, London
Full day workshop with lunch. Price £88 (Earlybird £79) Detailed flyer here
Workshop #3 — EXPLORERS
Feeling Stale? Need to Refresh? Reset Your Writing Compass
Problem: you’re an experienced writer. You know yourself very well. But writing is getting harder and harder. Or you’re not enjoying it much. Or you can’t concentrate. Or you can’t work out what to do next.
Answer: remember writing your first book? You were like an explorer, full of fiery enthusiasm. You couldn’t keep away from it.
- workshop starts with quiz: Which Adventurer are You?
- exercises designed to uncover the writing journey you really want to take now
- and how to manage it without frightening the horses
We (Joanna and Sophie) have planned these workshops because:
- they deal with problems we see regularly
- we’ve had them ourselves at one time or another…
- … and got through them. Each workshop really is the result of blood-stained experience.
In all our workshops, we aim to tailor the content to the needs of the group, so we will invite participants to tell us in advance about specific issues they’d like us to cover. For some workshops, we will also invite participants to submit material to us in advance.
Timing, Venues, Prices
- Timing: Workshop #1 — HOOK & HOLD — will run on Saturday 17th June 2017. Workshops #2 and #3 are planned for later in 2017 and early 2018. Dates will appear on the Events page as soon as workshop flyers are available
- Venue(s): RAF Club, Piccadilly, London for the first workshops
Workshops may be repeated later in non-London venues if there is demand
- Prices: will cover the full-day Saturday session, including lunch and refreshments. Prices are on workshop flyers and there are discounts for Earlybird bookings
- Numbers will be limited to ensure all participants can benefit from discussion and individual attention