- How Smell Evokes Memory and Emotion
- Repel the Night Tigers, Despatch from London
- Creating Atmosphere 2 : Using Light and Shade
- Hearing the Soundtrack of your Novel
- Nourishment for the Soul (but no escaping literature)
Creating atmosphere : with shade in the picture
Light and shade help to create atmosphere. It doesn’t have to be deep gloom or blinding sunlight, just a degree of contrast.
To see what I’m getting at, have a look at the 3 pictures in the slider below, showing roughly the same view of a snowy landscape, but in different kinds of light. I reckon the changes of light and shade move the viewer from misery (or at least gloom), through hope, to something much more positive.
The question is: can we do the same thing, subtly, with mere words? Continue reading